Dr Antonio Rodrigues
MBBCh, FCOG, MBA, Reproductive Medicine Specialist / Director Medfem Fertility Clinic
In addition to his fertility background Tony is an expert in lifestyle and its effect on fertility of females and males. Research performed by Tony became a catalyst for the book ‘Faster, Better, Sicker – Time Urgency Perfectionism Stress and Your Health’. He has been responsible for integrating this course, creating the logical sequencing, developing a research based nutrient package to optimise the course’s success and correlating the clinical symptoms and diseases. Over the past 14 years, Tony has taken a special interest in the diagnosis and management of Time Urgency Stress in infertile women with special reference to endometriosis, and in this time has assessed over 4000 patients. As a result of the research and medical findings, Tony has co-launched an online Time Urgency Stress Management Course with internet-based assessment and feedback – tups.co, as well as a TUPS stress management mobile app.
Tony is also an expert and leader in minimally invasive surgery. Medfem Fertility Clinic is one of the first institutions in South Africa to have developed a fully comprehensive operating theatre with all the necessary equipment to perform minimally invasive surgery. The specialists at Medfem Fertility Clinic have all undergone extensive training abroad and teach endoscopic surgery on an ongoing basis to visiting gynaecologists.
In 2003 Tony assisted Georen Pharmaceuticals in developing a Growth Hormone Secretagogue, antioxidant, vitamin, and mineral complex – StaminoGro. StaminoGro is known to assist with fertility by increasing the amounts of natural growth hormones that your body is producing.
Tony is a regular broadcaster and is in high demand for his excellent teaching presentations on various aspects of infertility. He also writes a monthly column for Mama’s and Papa’s magazine. He is the author of numerous articles in refereed journals, several book chapters and review articles, and speaks nationally and internationally on infertility.
1987 Krige Research Prize – Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology: ‘The effect of Tisseel on Mouse Embryos’.
1988 Krige Research Prize – Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Platelet Activating Factors role in the Pathogenesis of Pre- Eclampsia.
- Member of the S.A. Association of Reproductive Medicine and Gynaecological Endoscopy (SASREG)
- Member SASOG
- A Randomized, Comparative Study of the Efficacy and Tolerance of Roxithromycin and Doxycycline in the Treatment of Women with Positive Endocervical Cultures for Chlamydia trachomatis and Mycoplasma spp. in an In Vitro Fertilization Program. (1992)
- The treatment of endometriosis with GnRH analogues. (1994)
- Hypothesis – Platelet activating factor (PAF) in etiology of Pre-Eclampsia (1988)
- Platelet Activating Factor Levels in Pre-Eclampsia (1993)
- Faster, Better, Sicker – Time Urgency Perfectionism Stress and Women’s Health. Antonio Rodrigues, Edward Wolff, Mandy Wolff (1999)
- Bosman E, Rodrigues FA, and Esterhuizen AD. Improvement of DNA packaging in sperm of IVF patients after nutrient supplement treatment. IFFS 2007, Durban South Africa, 2007.
- Bosman E, Esterhuizen AD, Rodrigues FA, Becker PJ, Hoffmann WA. The influence of male hyperinsulinaemia on IVF outcome. Submitted: June 2013 Andrologia
- Bosman E, Esterhuizen AD, Rodrigues FA, Becker PJ, Hoffmann WA. Prevalence of hyperinsulinaemia among normozoospermic donors at Medfem Clinic, South Africa Andrologia, 2013;45:1,18-25
- Esterhuizen AD, Franken DR, Bosman E, Rodrigues FA, Lombard C. Relationship between the sperm-hyaluronan binding assay, conventional semen parameters and fertilization rate in intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Submitted: June 2013 Andrologia
- Van Rensburg JH, Esterhuizen AD, Bosman E, Rodrigues FA, Van Schouwenburg JAM. Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis: The past and the present. The Specialist Forum. Specialist Medicine, 2007:7;20-24
- Handbook of Fertility: Nutrition, Diet, Lifestyle and Reproductive Health, First Edition. – (In the editing / printing phase)
- Chapter 36: The psychological management of infertility – Mandy Jacqueline Rodrigues, Francisco Antonio Rodrigues
- Chapter 40: Influence of Male hyperinsulinemia on IVF outcome. Edolene Bosman, Aldo Esterhuizen, Francisco Rodrigues
Conducted the following Clinical Trials
- Comparison of short and long-acting GnRH analogues in In-Vitro fertilization (HOECHST) 1992
- Comparison of Roxithromycin and Doxycycline in the treatment of positive endocervical cultures of Chlamydia and Ureaplasma (ROUSSEL) 1992
- Phase III open ended study comparing Canesten and Iatraconazole in vaginal candidiasis (JANSSENS) 1993
- Phase III open ended study comparing Canesten and Iatraconazole in vaginal candidiasis (JANSSENS) 1994
- Comparison of two different long-acting GnRH analogues on Uterine Fibroid (HOECHST) 1994-1995
- Comparison of two different long-acting GnRH analogues on endometriosis (HOECHST) 1994-1995