Reproductive Medicine Specialist
Dr Joanne Pottow is a Gynaecologist and Obstetrician and qualified through the University of the Witwatersrand, Gauteng, South Africa. She is a fellow of the College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and has a special interest in fertility and reproductive medicine. She achieved her M.Med through the University of the Witwatersrand with a study on secondhand smoke exposure rates in Soweto’s pregnant women and was elected to present this research at the Wits Research Day.
Before becoming a gynaecologist, Joanne obtained a B.Sc through the University of Port Elizabeth in 1999, followed by a PDM from the Wits Business School. This led to a marketing career at L’Oreal South Africa as one of their product managers. She thoroughly enjoyed all that the corporate world had to offer but decided to go back to university and obtained her undergraduate medical degree from the University of the Witswatersrand. It was at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital where she remained for many years, that her passion for obstetrics and gynaecology developed, and hence trained in this discipline under Professor Eckhart Buchmann and Professor Yasmin Adam.
Joanne keeps an active life with her husband, beautiful daughter and wonderful extended family.
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Microbiology (1999), University of Port Elizabeth.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management (2001), Wits Business School.
- MBBCh, University of Witwatersrand
- Speciality: Obstetrics & Gynaecology, FCOG South African College of Medicine
- M.Med (O&G) University of Witwatersrand
Teaching and presentations
- 2016 Wits Research Day.
Clinical Teaching Responsibilities
- The teaching of medical students was part of registrar duties both in theoretical and practical skills.
- Community service appointment during registrar time involved visiting rural clinics Memberships
- College of Medicine South Africa (FCOG)