Fertility Treatments at Medfem during Covid-19
As with many fertility clinics around the world, Medfem Fertility Clinic was required to close its doors temporarily during the initial hard lockdown in South Africa between 27 March 2020 and 30 April 2020.
Fortunately, with the Stage 4 lockdown coming into effect on 1 May 2020 in South Africa, Medfem has resumed full fertility management from 4 May 2020.
Our patients’ safety has always been and always will be our top priority. As such, we have gone to even greater lengths to ensure your safety during the unusual circumstances related to the Covid-19 pandemic.
At Medfem, we want to make sure you stay safe, while also mitigating the risk our staff and other patients at Medfem Fertility Clinic face of contracting the virus or inadvertently spreading the virus at our facilities.
We are confident in the measures we have put in place.
As one of South Africa’s top medical facilities, our Medfem team are highly experienced in implementing stringent Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and maximum quality control for all our clinical processes, ranging from operating procedures to IVF laboratory work. Building on solid and well-entrenched safety and quality procedures, we have been able to incorporate additional health and safety precautions relating to Covid-19 quickly and effectively into a new patient management protocol, designed to protect the health and safety of our patients and staff alike.
As Medfem Fertility Clinic is an Accredited Clinic with the Southern African Society of Reproductive Medicine and Gynaecological Endoscopy (SASREG), our Covid-19 patient management guidelines are based on SASREG’s recommendations. SASREG represents specialists – ranging from gynaecologists, embryologists and scientists to fertility and theatre nursing sisters, allied practitioners, psychologists and social workers in the field of Gynaecological Endoscopy and reproductive medicine. The society also serves to protect the interests of the patients undergoing fertility treatment.
You can read more about SASREG’s Guidelines for Fertility Treatments during Covid-19 here.
Our new patient management protocols are also implemented taking into consideration the recommendations regarding fertility treatments globally, as well as the local COVID-19 legislation and regulations.
Our new patient management protocols include the following measures:
1. Minimizing the amount of time patients spend at Medfem through the use of technology.
2. Enforcing strict safety rules to safeguard our patients and staff from exposure to the virus at the clinic.
These additional protocols build on Medfem’s already stringent health and safety standards. Yet even with all the additional protocols in place, our focus remains on maximising your fertility outcome.
1. Minimsing the time our patients spend at the clinic
Fortunately, Medfem Fertility Clinic has always been at the forefront of advanced technology.
In response to COVID-19, we have adapted our processes to incorporate technology, allowing our patients to spend the least amount of time possible away from home.
Healthdocs Patient App
Firstly, all our existing and new patients – and that includes both partners – can now interact with their fertility specialists via the Healthdocs Patient application, which is easily downloaded from the mobile app stores.
This will allow you to:
* Connect with your doctor – look for us Dr Antonio Rodrigues, Dr Nicholas Clark, Dr Johan van Schouwenburg.
* Manage your Covid-19 – complete applications, self-monitor for Covid-19 symptoms for both partners, keep record of contacts.
* Upload documents – including your ID, medical history, previous blood tests and any other information and share the documents with your doctor.
* Book an appointment.
Skype or Zoom Consultations
To keep our patients safest, we at Medfem offer Skype or Zoom consultations with your First Visit Consultation.
During your video consultation, a transvaginal scan will be arranged and your fertility doctor will give you the date to come to the clinic for a scan.
Electronic Welcome Pack
This is a handy checklist of tests that must be done including a semen analysis at our IVF laboratory.
These protocols serve to keep our patients safe at home for as long as possible. However, an appointment is essential.
2. Enforcing strict safety rules at the clinic
When you do arrive at Medfem, you can rest assured that all precautions have been taken to ensure your safety. You can also rest assured that your time at Medfem will be limited at much as possible. We will even fill your prescription for medication and bring it to you.
When you do visit us at Medfem Fertility Clinic, please do:
1. Make absolutely certain that you have an appointment booked.
2. Make sure you have had a Covid-19 Nasal swab 3 days before your admission.
3. Check all your admission forms and all other required documents have been filled in and returned the day before admission.
4. Please come alone to routine monitoring visits limiting the risk for accompanying persons and partners. No children should be allowed to accompany patients.
5. Use your HealthDocs app to screen for Covid-19 symptoms before you leave home. If you screen positive, please contact Medfem and your GP.
6. Adhere to General Precautions detailed below – these are strictly enforced at our facility for the safety of all our staff and patients.
7. Your temperature will be taken with an infra-red thermometer prior to you entering the building. You also need to open your Healthdocs app and show the person your Covid-19 monitoring page which must be completed accurately as by law.
8. When entering our Medfem Fertility Clinic facilities, please wash your hands correctly using soap and water in the bathroom.
General Precautions Strictly Enforced
1. Stay at home for all but essential trips.
Do not leave home if you have any of the following symptoms – Fever, Cough, Chills, Sore Throat, Shortness of Breath, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Myalgia (body pains), tiredness and/or loss smell and taste. Stay at home and phone your GP or closest emergency rooms for advice.
2. When going into public spaces, it is compulsory to wear a cloth mask or other appropriate cover over your nose and mouth.
3. Observe social distancing – stay 1.5 meters away from other people in public spaces.
4. Maintain excellent hand hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly as often as possible using soap and water OR sanitising your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub – remembering to wash or sanitise the back of your hands too.
5. Cough or sneeze into your bent elbow or a tissue which must be discarded immediately.
Continuing or starting your fertility journey
Whether you are continuing or starting your fertility journey, you can rest assured that Medfem Fertility Clinic is geared to keep you safe at home for as long as possible and that when you do come to visit us, that you will be as safe as can be.
We look forward to taking the next step in your fertility journey with you. We are confident we have taken great precautions to ensure our patients and our staff are safe when visiting our facility, and to minimise the duration of the visits, so our focus can remain on maximising each patient’s fertility treatment.
The next step is as simple as contacting us. To book an initial consultation, click here or contact us telephonically on +27 (11) 463 2244.
We look forward to meeting you!